Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Chapter 7 Reflection

This chapter really made me think more about the effort people used to have to put into writing before digital typography was a thing. I always have been in interested in hand drawing letters, but I could never imagine having no other choice but to do that. The time and attention to detail needed to perfect  hand drawn lettering is proof that most typefaces were made with a lot of thought and detail.  It was also fascinating to see the different machines that were made, and their development over time which eventually led to the digital type we have today. As our technology has progressed, so has the quality of the fonts, and I can only imagine what will be possible in ten years from now. One thing I did not realize is how important coding, specifically the use of CSS, is to someone involved with typography. At first I thought coding would be irrelevant to me, but I am beginning to realize how important it is to someone studying graphic design, and typography in particular. It is also very important to think about how a type will be presented to the viewer. For example, will the type be seen on a computer, or a phone, or both, and how will the difference affect their appearance. These are all important aspects of typography that I have overlooked in the past, but am not starting to think more about.
Image result for multiple master
Image result for bitmap font
Image result for generative typography

No comments:

Post a Comment