Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Chapter 7 Review

Chapter 7:


Within chapter 7 of our class textbook, Typographic Design: Form and Communication’s,
the primary topic of discussion is the evolution of typographic technology, from the very first
movable type machine to the awesome, pixel perfect type that we can create nowadays on digital
computers. This chapter goes into specifics for each technological typographic advancement.
My personal favorite would have to be the very first movable type machine. This is my favorite
because of the fact that it honestly reminds me a blacksmiths, in the sense that they both require
such patience, skill, and precision to accomplish. It really intrigues me how each and every letter
must be carefully placed on a Chase in order for it to create the desired type. I personally would
really love to see how this is done and if possible, try it out myself. It boggles my mind how exactly
it is that they make those tiny metal letters in the chosen font for the document being written.
This chapter goes on to briefly touch base on all typographic technological advancements that
have occurred throughout history and how each one paved the way for it’s successor. I believe
that we as a society have really come to appreciate the way that typography has evolved but I also
think that if we were to bring back some of the obsolete methods of creating typography, then
newcomers to the industry would be able to try those methods out and learn to appreciate them
as well. Typography is a living, breathing concept and science. I highly doubt that it is going to
disappear anytime soon. I am just very interested to see what exactly the next typographic
technological advancement will be and how it will affect our society.

Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment